Today felt like the longest day ever! I was subpoenaed to appear in court as a witness. I don't want to go into too much detail, but it has to do some fraud that I caught at work. I had to be at the DA's office at 8:15 am to speak with the prosecuting attourney and he gave me a run down on how things would go down. Then I had to go over to the courthouse to wait for the preliminary hearing to start so that I could testify. One of my co-workers was there as well and we sat and waited and waited.
We were told that the defense attourney had a busy morning and it would be a little while. I brought a book to read but couldn't concentrate because I was so anxious. I was supposed to go into work at 12, but that didn't happen! We sat around and waited for about 4 hours when we were told we could go down to the cafeteria and get something to eat or drink. When we came back up we were told that there was a possibility that the case would be continued on a different day. Luckily the judge decided to just reschedule for 3:00 pm.
So we headed off to get some lunch and waste a couple of hours. When we returned we went right in. It was very nerve wracking. I think the 10 minutes I was on the stand were the longest 10 minutes ever! I've never had any encounter with the court system. It was definitely an interesting experience. The judge decided there was enough evidence to go to trial - so unless the defendant decides to plead guilty we have to do it all over again but this time in front of a jury. Everybody say your prayers that he decides to plead guilty so I can put this mess behind me!
I finally got home around 4:00 pm and haven't been able to stop thinking about the whole thing since. Hopefully writing about it will get it out of my mind so I can sleep well tonight! The best part about the whole thing is that I get paid for my time. I think it's $18.50. Just think of all the things I could buy. :) I guess it's better than nothing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Geesh that sounds crazy! I would be totally nervous too! But wow...at least they paid you tons! =)
Post a Comment