1.10.2011

Aebleskivers

This year we are on the 1-4 church schedule. It has not been easy on ANY of us. The worst part is that it is right in the middle of nap time. I'm sure we'll adjust eventually...

We are trying to make the most of things by having a nice Sunday breakfast together - seeing as how we have plenty of time in the morning now. This Sunday we started off with a Green Family favorite - Aebleskivers. They are Danish pancakes in the shape of a ball. We had them quite often growing up. I remember having them especially on Sundays when our church was later. Also, my mom would sometimes make them in the mornings if we had friends sleepover. Now we usually have them on Christmas morning.

My mom gave me a pan when I got married but I was a little bit too scared to make them. Sometimes things are just better when Mom makes them. :) But they seem to turn out alright when I've made them - at least my boys seem to think so. So I thought I would share the recipe...

Aebleskivers
4 eggs separated
1 Tbs sugar (Mom puts more)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup melted butter
2 cups milk (scant)
Beat egg yolks until light. Add sugar and beat until thickened. Sift together dry ingredients. Add alternating with butter and milk. Beat egg whits until stiff and fold into batter. Cook in Aebleskiver pan.


Here's how the pan looks/works. You put a little bit of butter into each cup. Then pour the batter in. The batter bubbles (like pancakes) and then you use a fork (you can also use a knitting needle) to flip them over. It takes a little bit of practice to get them to flip successfully without making too much of a mess. I'm still working on that.



When they're finished you can dip them in whipped cream, jam, syrup, honey, powdered sugar... whatever you prefer. My favorite is whipped cream, raspberry jam and a little bit of powdered sugar.


They are a finger food and tend to get a little bit messy but Brockston doesn't mind. He packed them away!



My pan is a cast iron Lodge Pro-Logic. I did find some at Macey's (the grocery store) this summer in their seasonal section and it was a Sante Cabin brand. Both can be found on Amazon - I believe.

2 comments:

shellydinger said...

I have never heard of those, but they look delicious! I'm going to have to look for a pan. Thanks for Sharing!

Janeen said...

I have a faint memory of eating these at your house one day when we were really little! But I could never remember the crazy name.....now I know.