11.20.2012

Projects

So I usually have a project or two up my sleeve. Here are some that have kept me busy over the past several months.
Bathroom Mirror Before

Most recently, I decided to frame the bathroom mirror. I know, I know, it's all over Pinterest, but I must say that I saw the idea originally on HGTV and liked it and Pinterest just reaffirmed my desire to do so. When Nate had a week off of work, I put him to work at home. I really like how it turned out. Now I just need to figure out what to put on the wall above the tub and towels. I am open to suggestions.

Bathroom Mirror After
A over a year ago I decided to do something with this hutch that was just sitting in storage. My parents picked it up at an estate auction a few years ago and no one was using it. I had originally thought about just staining it but never got around to it. Then I saw painted furniture becoming all the rage. My kitchen was in desperate need for some color and I wanted to display my china. So I went for it and painted it a sage green. I love how it turned out. The top shelf is my china and the middle shelf has plates from my grandma (and mom they have the same china pattern) and 2 of my great grandmothers. I love looking at them and remembering what great women they were (and are).
Sage Green Hutch

Play Kitchen Before
Another project I took on was this little play kitchen. Nate's cousin was giving it away. We have been looking at them and trying to decide if we could make one or just buy one, but not really wanting to fork out $100. So we jumped at the chance to pick this up. I think my favorite part of the before is the "fresr." With a little bit of paint left over from previous projects (notice the light blue on the kitchen is the same blue as our bathroom walls) and some help from my dad making new knobs here is our end result. No more pink - we had to go blue all the way for boys. We do still need to figure out a faucet but we are working on it. The boys love it already.
Play Kitchen After

Dad's T-shirt Quilt
This quilt comes with a back story. When I was a senior in high school my dad got this great idea to take all of his T-shirts he had collected and worn over the years and make a quilt. He cut up his shirts and marked where to cut with a sharpie. I don't think any of them were the same size (sorry Dad). Then he tried to convince my mom and I to make the quilt. He laid it out in the living room. We just told him he was crazy. One weekend night my friends and I were meeting some guys at my house to hang out. The guys got there before we did and my dad was in showing the guys his T-shirt quilt that he wanted us to make. I was pretty embarrassed. So anyway, the t-shirts had been sitting around for 10 years. Every once in a while he would try to get my mom or I to make the quilt for him. We'd just laugh and tell him he was crazy again and again. Well earlier this year I took the shirts and decided to make the quilt for him for Father's day. This is what I came up with. Oh and he had bought a couple of random 1 yard pieces of fabric to go with it on eBay. So thus, the back is pieced together to work in the fabrics he had purchased.
Back of the T-shirt Quilt
Nate said that he can't picture my dad wearing these shirts because now all he wears are solid colored T-shirts or button down shirts. But this is all I remember my dad wearing growing up. I think my favorite part is seeing all of the grease stains on the shirts. I think it turned out rather well - considering... and I think my dad liked it too.
Grease Stains on the T-shirts

1 comment:

alex morley said...

You are amazing! Love the mirror!